About the workshop
Upon completion of this workshop, participants should have the knowledge and skills necessary to:
- plan and carry out a basic systematic review
- understand the appropriate methods for more complex analysis
- interpret the results of a meta-analysis
- accurately communicate the results and interpretation of a review.
Who should attend?
This workshop is intended for clinical trainees, clinicians, decision-makers, academics and researchers (epidemiologists, statisticians) with a general interest in the methodology of systematic reviews and for those planning to conduct a systematic review in the future.
The three-day workshop combines a series of short lectures and exercises, led by Institute staff and invited lecturers from Canada and Europe. Extensive handout materials are provided.
The workshop will address the following topics:
- evidence-based medicine, systematic reviews and the Cochrane Collaboration
- literature searches
- study selection
- methodological quality of randomized controlled trials
- combining studies with and without meta-analysis
- reporting of systematic reviews
- systematic reviews of observational studies
- clinical and statistical homogeneity
- best-evidence synthesis
- software for conducting meta-analysis and systematic reviews
- conflicting conclusions from systematic reviews of the same topic
- critical appraisal of systematic reviews
- dissemination, implementation and guidelines.
Note that a final agenda will be circulated prior to the workshop.
Registration fees are as follows:
Student/trainee* $ 500
* Proof of enrolment in a graduate or post-graduate program or post-doctoral fellowship is required.
The fees cover all handouts, training material for Cochrane reviews and a copy of RevMan 9 software. Fees also cover the cost of breakfasts, lunches and coffee breaks. Participants are responsible for their own accommodation and transportation.
Receipts will be provided upon payment.
For cancellations received by the Institute for Work & Health in writing (by email or fax) before the registration deadline, refunds will be made, less a $50 administrative fee. For cancellations received in writing after the registration deadline, refunds will be made, less a $250 administrative fee. No refunds will be made for cancellations received less than 48 hours prior to the start of the workshop. The workshop organizers reserve the right to alter the program or speakers if circumstances so dictate.