Role of employers and settlement agencies in safe employment integration
Reasons for the study
Employers play an important role in hiring immigrants and refugees in Canada—some working with settlement organizations who are seeking work placements for recent immigrants. Employers also play a crucial role in the safe and sustained work integration of newcomers, and are responsible for training them and putting measures in place to protect their health and safety.
Despite the central role that employers play in both hiring and subsequently providing safe work environments for recent immigrants, we know very little about their expectations, experiences and challenges in relation to hiring recent immigrants. We also have little information on specific challenges employers and settlement organizations face when working together.
This study will address this research gap by extending current research on the safe work integration of newcomers to examine the strategies used by employers and settlement agencies to help recent immigrants and refugees safely integrate into employment in Canada.
Objectives of the study
- To understand employers’ and settlement providers’ experiences and practices in helping immigrants integrate into employment in Canada
- To identify resource and training needs of settlement providers and employers, as well as gaps in service delivery, to inform innovative solutions for promoting safe employment for newcomers
The findings from this project will be of interest to multiple stakeholder communities, including employers, settlement providers and newcomer clients, as well as stakeholders across the employment/immigration field.
Related interviews and articles
- Supporting settlement agencies to raise OHS awareness among newcomers. At Work: Institute for Work & Health; No. 100, Spring 2020.
Related Speaker Series presentations
- Safe work integration of newcomers: Employer perspectives. IWH Speaker Series. October 13, 2020.
- POSTPONED: Safe Work Integration of Newcomers Forum: Service Provider and Employer Perspectives . Other events. March 30, 2020.
- Skills for Change
- Access Alliance
- KEYs Employment Centre
- Arab Community Centre Toronto
- Brampton Multicultural Centre