IDEA Web Master and Social Media Designer
Inclusive Design for Employment Access (IDEA) is a social innovation lab at McMaster University that focuses on the employment of persons with disabilities. It was recently funded for six years by the New Frontiers in Research Fund Transformation Stream, administered by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Co-led by Institute for Work & Health (IWH) Senior Scientist Dr. Emile Tompa and McMaster Associate Professor Dr. Rebecca Gewurtz, IDEA follows from our longstanding Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy (www.crwdp.ca), housed at IWH. The activities of the IDEA laboratory are focused on advancing knowledge and practice on how workplaces and related systems can be better designed to support full inclusion of persons with disabilities, including the social aspects of employment.
IDEA is currently seeking a qualified person to fill the position of Web Master and Social Media Designer.
About the position
The Web Master and Social Media Designer plays the lead role in the design, creation and ongoing maintenance of the IDEA website, and also supports the design and production of publications, videos and digital tools. They work closely with with the two leads of IDEA, the National Manager, the National Coordinator, and the Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Associate to plan, initiate and coordinate the website and other activities to help fulfill the laboratory’s communications and stakeholder engagement objectives. The position will be primarily remote, with approximately 25 per cent of time on-site in Hamilton and/or Toronto.
Core duties and responsibilities
- Build, adjust and maintain the design and functionality of the IDEA website on WordPress or another popular web platform, keeping accessibility and usability top of mind.
- Consistently create well-designed, tested code using best practices for website development, including mobile and responsive site design.
- Analyze user needs to ensure the content, graphics and navigation provide a positive user experience.
- Add functionality and content to the website throughout the time period of the initiative, especially to support knowledge mobilization among workplace stakeholders, and maintain and update the website to keep it secure.
- Build and maintain Contact Relations Manager system.
- Ensure consistent use of IDEA logo, colours and fonts across products, including the website, e-newsletter, reports, summaries, videos, slides and other resources.
- Ensure all product design, functionality and layout are accessible and adhere to accessibility best practices and standard
- Design and produce a regular IDEA e-newsletter.
- Design letterhead, as well as reports, slides and other resource templates.
- Design and layout infographics, guides, policy briefs and other products, as needed.
Digital tools and other materials
- Support video production, including storyboards, audio and editing.
- Provide technical support to a webinar series.
- Design social media cards for sharing on Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media platforms.
- Build and design apps and other tools, as needed.
Education and experience
- Strong website and product design skills, including proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Strong knowledge of website and design accessibility and usability best practices and standards, and experience in how to implement them
- Experience with Contact Relations Management systems an asset
- Video production and editing skills, as well as proficiency in video editing software, an asset
- Formal education in web design, multimedia design or related field and/or more than five years of related experience an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
This is a full-time position for one year, with a possibility of extension, and is based on a full-time salary range of $70,000-$80,000, plus benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. The position will be assessed after three months.
Much of this job can be done remotely. The job requires coming into the office as needed, approximately 25 per cent of the time, in Hamilton and/or Toronto. The physical environment of the office is an accessible modern building. There is no unusual physical effort involved in the duties. There are many periods of focused concentration at a computer terminal.
We strongly encourage candidates who identify as a person with a disability to apply. We are open to the possibility of job-sharing in cases where a candidate has strong skills in key areas of the position.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter and resumé by email to Ms. Sabrina Chaudhry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should clearly state how you meet the qualifications for this position.
Applications will be accepted until February 3, 2023.
IDEA is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.