The Institute for Work & Health (IWH) is an independent, not-for-profit research organization. Our mission is to promote, protect and improve the safety and health of working people by conducting actionable research that is valued by employers, workers and policy-makers.
IWH is currently seeking a qualified person to fill the position of Research Associate.
About the position
The successful candidate will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, collaborators and knowledge transfer and exchange associates. This is a full-time, contract position.
Core duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the implementation of research protocols, including study interviews, survey development and survey programming.
- Assist with recruiting study participants.
- Support data analysis by reviewing interview transcripts for accuracy, developing thematic coding schemes and coding documents, and extracting themes for analyses.
- Assist with knowledge-sharing activities, including helping with organizing research and stakeholder meetings.
- Support project coordination by documenting project activities, tracking activities against research plans, producing meeting notes, and communicating with the research team, external partners and participants.
- Prepare preliminary drafts of research reports and papers, including taking responsibility for documenting research methodology.
- Adhere to research ethics procedures, including those concerning privacy of information.
- Meet deadlines and conduct work in a timely way in a hybrid work environment.
Education and experience
- A master’s degree in health sciences or social and behavioural sciences, or a bachelor’s degree with a specialization in public health sciences, rehabilitation sciences, occupational health or a related field
- Three years of experience in a research environment
- Experience conducting interviews and focus groups and/or programming or collecting data using surveys
- Experience analyzing qualitative data using Nvivo and working in a Windows MS Office environment, especially with Word and Excel
- Excellent written communication skills and a strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to manage competing project demands and independently coordinate and prioritize tasks and responsibilities
- Experience and comfort with collaborative, team-based project work
Salary will depend on qualifications and experience, and will be in the range of $60,000 to $70,000 per year. Suitability for the position will be assessed at six months.
Applications will be accepted until May 20, 2022, or until the position is filled.
If you are interested in this position, please submit an application containing a cover letter and resumé to:
Director, Human Resources & Corporate Services
400 University Avenue, Suite 1800
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S5
IWH is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values and promotes diversity. IWH encourages applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous people, women, LGBTQ2S+ persons, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact Derek Wills at firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 927-2027, ext. 2115 to discuss their needs.
We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.
IWH, guided by a Board of Directors and an international Scientific Advisory Committee, conducts research that examines primary prevention and interventions in the workplace; effective and efficient rehabilitation and safe, timely return to work for people with work-related injury and illness; labour market experiences and their health consequences; and disability compensation systems and their behavioural consequences. IWH supports an active knowledge transfer and exchange program, which implements interactive strategies to transfer research findings to key decision-makers. IWH also trains and mentors the next generation of work and health researchers.
IWH is committed to excellent working conditions, a cooperative team environment for its employees, and transparent, diverse and fair recruiting practices of staff and trainees.
IWH operates with the support of the Government of Ontario.
This opportunity is now closed.